Friday, September 4, 2009

Toot! Toot! Yep, that's the sound of my horn

Can I just say that I feel rather smug right now? And not sweating as I am not at my house, but surrounded by the air conditioned bliss of the library, which like Goldlilocks's preferred temperature of porridge is not too hot and not too cold.

I have been working on my outline for my history and Sustainable Cities papers and I am feeling rather good about them. Despite years and years of churning out meaningless papers I still get a certain amount of anxiety when faced with the prospect of writing a paper for a new professor.

How hard is he or she going to grade it? Will s/he hate my thesis? Are they super sticklers for punctuation? I had a professor who docked me 5 points for the lack of use of a semi-colon and yet he constantly and consistently mispronounced one of the most famous Italian Baroque (or arguably Romantic) artists- calling him Kid-a-vahgio, not Car-a-vaggio, like Carrara marble. Sheesh.

Anywho, having already formulated some thoughts on my paper I can now branch out my thinking and consider hm- does sprawl develop the same way everywhere in the US? Or is it different in Atlanta vs. Phoenix vs. Seattle? Armed with these questions I can scour my library's online book database for relevant titles. Though I think I have already checked out 1/3 of the VKC's collection, or at least 1/3 of their titles on sprawl :)

Now I could really go for some ice cream, but I don't want to leave my spot! Oh the afflictions of the academic!

No comments: