Saturday, September 12, 2009

Life is a Balancing Act

Last night I went out for drinks with two friends from my concentration, Derek and Sylvia.

Internally, I have been wondering how everything that needs to get done, is going to get done.
I have a legal mid-term take home test due on Tuesday, I have a group project for history due in about a week and I am one of the people doing the research (i.e. need more research so the people writing the thing actually have something to go off of), I have two papers due in about a month+ (= have to get started on that research at some point, though thankfully, I have put together an outline), readings due for every class every week, a book review due in October (? specific date a little fuzzy as I think it was TBA?), and I'm trying to decide if I can swing work/study and an internship.

We were all discussing how we really need to find paying internships as there never seems like enough money to go around. The City of LA is offering internships, which is great as I could just take the DASH there and gain some experience in the public sector. The problem is, due to the cruddy state of our state budget (seriously!? don't spend what you don't have!) they are non-paying internships. In a perfect world everything would be paid, and big bucks at that, but for now I guess beggars can't be choosers. I guess, if I get it, I'd have to see how it is an opportunity that can lead to bigger things. Also, if it's non-paying, I can take off the two-three weeks I want at Christmas as hey, it's non-paying so they're not exactly in a position to argue about how I "owe" them anything.
Also, my letter of recommendation was turned in late for my potential work/study. The deadline was Friday, it got sent on Saturday. We'll see if it'll squeak through. If not, that's one less thing to worry about, or one more,( i.e. I'd have to find another work/study position and I'm not sure what's available anymore). It's hard to say.

What will be, will be, though I think I'm going to leave the lady in charge a message explaining that I found out it was e-mailed today and if there is any way I can come in and talk to her about my qualifications. Hopefully, I'm being considered based on the strength of my own merits, not just on my letter of recommendation. Though again, it'd be a great opportunity, as one of the schools where the program is held, is literally, right across the street from where I live.

All in all, it's reassuring that other people are trying to figure out how to get everything done, and eat, and pay rent, and not go insane.

That reminds me, I also have to redo my resume. Eh, if it's not one thing, it's another.

No comments: