Monday, September 14, 2009

The Frustrations of a Perfectionist

I have finally finished my legal environment of urban planning mid-term! It is finished! And she stretched out her arms. . .and there was no chocolate lying around!

I have decided the obstacle that makes this difficult is that I really don't know what the format is for this so I don't know if I'm doing it right or not. I have no precedent nor can I beat the system! This is very frustrating for a self-confessed perfectionist who borders on anal-retentive. <:-(

The premise was interesting enough- it is a hypothetical case and as a planning intern at Dewey, Cheatham, and Howe (a shoutout to the Three Stooges), I need to write a memorandum for the supervising partner discussing an legal issues including the plantiff's best arguments, the likely arguments of the County and the client, as well as the possible judicial review.

Our professor said that we need to identify the issues and what is going on, determine the criteria for the rules (is this really an example of a prior nonconforming use? etc.,) and use the facts where they satisfy. Uh huh, easy for you to say with your 40+ years of lawyer/judge experience behind you.

However, having zero pre-law background and IL work comp knowledge not being very useful I kind of feel like I'm being tossed in a pool and being told to swim, but never having taken a swimming lesson before. I don't really know if anything is missing and therefore can't correct it!

I've been working on it for the past four days and I doubt I can improve on what I have, if anything I'd make it worse. So, again, here goes nothing! I'd feel a lot better if 50% of my grade wasn't riding on this. . .

No comments: