Friday, September 4, 2009

the Car-less Experiment

I have been car-less for the past two years and for the most part it has been incredibly freeing.
However, lately, it has been putting a crimp on my social schedule. Superficial, but true. And if you'll bear with me I'll also explain that my social schedule is also my professional networking schedule.

My bff J is currently playing part-time chauffeur to me and my grocery store-Target-Barnes & Noble needs, and the carpooling has been great for us and the environment. We catch up, act silly, sing along to the music, and reduce our carbon emissions.

However, there SC events that could be of great use and interest to me- such as a visit to an artist's studio, who builds architecture models, which is in downtown LA in the evening. I have asked if J, who has an interest in urban planning, would be able to come too (as she would be my ride) and the powers that be said that they thought so, but to check back. I have also submitted a request for carpooling if she is unable to come due to space limitations.

My legal professor was sharing a story in class today about his dinner party encounter with a planning commission member for the city of Culver City (CA), who made the error of asking him what they should do to improve Culver City. He said that they should reduce parking (anathema in LA!!!), widen the sidewalks, narrow the streets, and reduce the speed limits to 15 mph. Needless to say, the other party did not talk to him for the rest of the night. He was saying this in all seriousness and I agree with him. But he also has a job (and a car I presume) and doesn't need to get to an internship!

One of the good/bad things about SC is that there is a mandatory internship- it's between 400- 1,000 hrs. (to be completed over the course of your studies). It forces you into getting real experience in the real world. But things get a little trickier when one wants to work in Santa Monica, but has no access to get there, short of lots and lots of excruciating long bus rides- Chicago and your amazing El trains, where are you when I need you?!

Also, I suspect that it will start to get a little unspokenly "weird" if I keep dragging J to SC social events that I want to go to and she isn't an enrolled student nor is she my girlfriend in that sense of the word. And people start to wonder, who is that girl? I never see her around. . .

And whenever there are field trips listed on a syllabus I wonder who I can charm into picking me up and taking me, or if there are other people who are car-less. :(

I totally admit that currently I am unable to meet friends for drinks anywhere as 1) I would need to find a way to get there and 2) I would need to find a way to get back- safely! And relying on the kindness of friends wears thin on all parties fast.

And I realized that I have to limit my studying on-campus at this present moment. As the a/c guy failed to show today I tried to stall as long as I could before I trudged home. But it was fast approaching dusk and I've never walked home at night and I wasn't in the mood to conduct a social experiment. I don't live in a super "sketchy" neighborhood, but we don't leave our front doors unlocked either.

The final realization I have come to, is that I need a car in order to not only get around, but to literally succeed!

Alas, one of those things you hear about LA that "you need a car to get around" is pretty much fact.

Obviously, many poor people do not own cars and have to rely on public transportation. But I also doubt that a lot of them need to put in a 1,000 hour, or maybe it's 400 hour mandatory internship for school! Can I also say that a lot of them also have very strong local social ties so in order to meet their friends they don't have to traverse three different zip codes? I have friends in Little Tokyo, Los Feliz, and Marina del Rey! None of the places, with the exception of LT are that easy to get to by public transit :P

There is a strong emphasis on social justice at my school, so hopefully one of my peers in the transportation concentration will be able to start addressing our abysmal state of public transit. Though the big big and big green buses to Santa Monica and Culver City, respectively are cute. And our metro local is a zippy shade of orange.

Unfortunately, I was not smart enough to put aside the money that I saved on transportation each month- partially because I was paying off the bill for a rebuilt tranny on my last car (RIP) and partially due to Target- darn you Target! Why must you be filled with shiny objects?!

So, now I am crunching numbers on 2009 Honda Fit's, wondering if I can eat and make a car payment. I'll keep ya posted.

This isn't due to ego. If I had my way I'd buy an old beater and drive it into the ground until I get a real job. The problem is my last car, my baby, was a used vehicle and I opted against buying a dealer-certified vehicle. This meant that I'm pretty sure I inherited a daddy's girl/boy's car, which they drove around and didn't pay any mind to the maintenance. Final result? I wound up paying for a completely rebuilt transmission, which cost almost as much, or more than the car was worth. And I don't even own it anymore. (the fact that this was due to a cross-country move is beside the point. Then the timing belt/the engine blew on said car. When it rains it pours. Too bad it was owned free and clear.) And I don't know a crankshaft from a gear shaft, so if anything goes awry I'm at the mercy of a mechanic.

But I am nothing if not a scrupulous researcher and I've done my homework and the Fit has earned rave reviews. It also meets my needs exactly- a small car = easy to park, loaded with safety features and a/c and a CD player come standard. :) My needs are simple and few- I only want the best!

Apparently, shopping in October is the perfect time to wrangle a deal. There's also a tall drink of water in my classes who I hope will be able to come with me as I've heard that dealers are outright biased against women buyers. So I'll bring me a tall strappin' fellow to do the talkin'. And a former co-worker was a former car salesperson so I'm tapping her for tips too.

Plus, with a car I could pick up a small job, ugh, maybe. Unless my parking costs eat up what would be considered my paycheck. Hmm, I'm rather partial to Trader Joe's, and they always have ample parking!

The adventure continues! If it's not one thing, it's another!

1 comment:

Diane Mech said...

I heard a commentary yesterday by a doctoral candidate from UCLA (your rival!) in Urban Planning, Transportation emphasis. He was speaking about the high-speed trains - pretty interesting - if you can find the archive on All Things Considered 9/3. Your brother needs a car too - too bad you can't share!