Friday, August 5, 2011

I'm a Stranger Here Myself

Last week I went back to LA after being away for a month and a half away to move out of my old apartment and see my friends.

Having lived in LA for two years I thought that I'd slip right back where I left off. It wasn't that long, right?

While all the sites looked relatively the same (they fiiiinally filled in the potholes on my streeet that were deep enough to throw a toddler in), it is true that you can't go home again. I no longer worked in the City of Angels. I don't buy all of my groceries at the local Smart and Final. I don't sleep in the 90007 zip code.

Having moved around so much I'm highly attuned to my "place" in a city. Am I a tourist? Am I a resident? A student? Just passing through? Do I slot into the middle? Or am I on the periphery?

I used to be a student/resident, but now I'm just passing through. Not here to stay.

I'll admit it's a weird sensation having gone from being the one that everyone would go to when they wanted to know what was going on to having no idea.

And it was great going to places that I love- like the Public Library in Santa Monica (and snagging a Christopher Buckley book!) and Senor Fish (potato tacos!) and trying out new places like Masa, where one can snag New Zealand green lip mussels for under $15! Less than $20 seafood!? I'm listening!

LA, I will always love you. But I have to strike out for new adventures. I will always love you.

No comments: