Friday, March 25, 2011

Steal My Sunshine, Or Safety and Welfare are Overrated

Usually, I'm really excited about the work that I do for the Planning Department. But this time I have hit a wall.

Back in 2002 the fair city of LA banned murals courtesy of Ordinance 174517.

I had no idea until literally yesterday as there are murals all over LA, which I love! And there are often new ones. For a kid from the Midwest where the only murals were of the boring, history, civic variety to see murals of comical chickens, goddesses, and words so vibrant, it looks alive was mind-blowing. It

The thing that makes me the most angry is that it's even illegal on private property! This is why people think planning infringes on personal rights and is fascist. For once, I have to agree with them.

Apparently, murals endanger the safety and welfare of people, be they drivers or pedestrians. I sort of concede, as they are visually distracting.

Which is what is mandated against in Article 4.4 Regulations Section 14.4.1 Purpose A." That the design, construction, installation, repair and maintenance of signs will not interfere with traffic safety or otherwise endanger public safety." (if you're going to survive in planning, you have to be able to speak legalese fluently)

I'm trying to blow the system up from the inside out. But it's hard to circumvent the system when legal has you tied down. I'm trying to find ways for people to be able to put up murals on the side of their buildings, in the back, etc., But it's always a viewshed for someone.

It seems unfair that we have to squelch artistic expression just because people can't remember the basic tenant of driver's ed "eyes on the road!" But being so reliant on our cars is another symptom of what's wrong with society. Tho that's another post for another day :/

In the meantime, I am listening to my favorite 90s one hit wonders. This one seemed particularly appropriate, Len's "Steal My Sunshine"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1fzJ_AYajA

No comments: