Wednesday, February 4, 2009

O Joy, O Rapture!

Hurrah! At long last I have finally obtained Douglas Farr's book, Sustainable Urbanism: Urban Design with Nature. It was/is intended to be one of my birthday presents (February 5th, which gives you less than 24 hours to find me a suitable gift, just kidding, of course) from my parents, but the box from amazon.com came early and well, I peeked.

My mom and I also have an on-going debate when my birthday really is. As I was born in South Korea, I say that due to the International Time/Date line that my birthday is technically February 4th, she insists that since I was born on February 5th, never mind that it was in Korea, my birthday is February 5th. To be safe, I celebrate all week long :)

A breathless review of Mr. Farr's work will no doubt ensue soon. I'll just have to ignore Daniel E. William's Sustainable Design: Ecology, Architecture, and Planning, which I received for Christmas, (both Mr. Farr and Mr. Williams' works are published by the same imprint, Wiley) Mark Girouard's Cities & People: a Social & Architectural History, which I picked up in Dinkytown, also at the holidays. (For more on Dinkytown see my January 1st, 2009 blog "Won't You Take Me to. . .Dinkytown?!) and Alexander Garvin's the American City: What Works, What Doesn't, which is still pending from a zealous fit of spending this summer on amazon.com. Hey, you have to get your free shipping somehow and I will maintain, to my dying day, that my purchase order was under 25 dollars! Hmmm. . . either that or I will continue my habit of reading three incredibly different books at one time. Currently it is Robert Ludlum's the Bourne Identity, James Hall's Michelangelo and the Reinvention of the Human Body, and Alexander Garvin's the American City.

I'll keep ya posted!

No comments: