Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The suburbs- save me a spot? Or when pigs fly I'll hire them as my movers

I am curious to know how many of my peers are considering moving to the suburbs, either in the future, are there now, or will never set foot there except to visit friends.

I am also curious as to what influenced their decision.

I have a friend who was born and raised in Chicago, and except for a stint in Mexico and college in Michigan, she has spent her whole life in the Windy City. She said one time that the only way she would ever leave Chicago is in a pine box.

I have another friend who grew up in the rareified air of suburban CT. She didn't mind it as a kid, but finds it stifling now. She is currently in L.A., but the non-stop traffic is getting to her. I think she'd be happiest in San Francsisco, as she is very environmentally-oriented, but as it is so expensive to live up there, one needs an iron-clad job or very flexible outlook toward housing. Four extra roommates anyone? Rent'll only be $3000/month each! Utilties not included.

In a prior post I noted that, I think, that most people of my generation have always assumed that the suburbs have always existed. I would like to take this one step farther and ask, how many people see themselves living in the subrubs in the future?

I don't care if you see yourself in a suburb of the city that you live now, or would like to live in A suburb, just not one of your current city's outlying ones. My question is simply, do you see yourself living in the suburbs? And if so, why?

If it's because the industry in which you work is out there, please note as such. If you want/have kids and want a good education for them, please remark on this.

There is a new ad for State Farm of a late-twenty-something guy, who bears a slight resemblance to Dominic Monaghan's character on the TV show, Lost. He's tattooed and looks vaguely edgy, but he also has a baby on his hip, HIS baby. And looking at that ad I realized, omygoth, all those life insurance ads are now being targeted at my demographic.

I realize that this is the age when people start to settle down- ALL of my friends with whom I have kept in touch from grammar school are married- a few have kids. But my question is, how many people will be trekking it out the suburbs? And how soon?

No comments: