Monday, January 3, 2011

New Year's Resolutions status: unlikely

And so a new year is upon us. Happy 2011 y'all! Perusing other people's blogs, Facebook postings, etc., it appears that the spirit of this year's resolutions are one of determined optimism, something I wholly support.

If 2009 was the year that came up and whacked us from behind like a mobster, then 2010 was the year to learn with the permanent ringing in our ears. But 2011- like the 5th stage of grief per Elisabeth Kubler-Ross from her seminal work, On Death and Dying- is one of acceptance. And through that acceptance comes freedom and maybe even optimism. Hey, one could be more random. In my last post I cited Joan Crawford. Never be boring! Though rarely be academic either ;)

While I, like many people, vow many resolutions for the coming year including actually starting my exercise regime in earnest- this time it's the Bar Method http://www.barmethod.com, remembering to floss more than once a month, volunteering more, breathing deeper, and actually blogging I imagine that the only resolution I will be able to keep through December 31, 2011 is brushing my teeth for the required two minutes. Drinking 64 ounces of water a day -!? seems unthinkable for those of us who are not independently wealthy and don't have to schedule our lives around more personal and pressing biological obligations.

I do vow to view planning through a broader lens and not just the "magic bullet" paradigms of mixed-use developments, transit-oriented developments, and urban villages that I love so much. They are still great and have their place. But to diversify- say for a small town in Virginia or northern Wisconsin- I need to think of what other problems befall planning and how can it be addressed.

As always, I aim to be lively here while viewing the world through my semi-permanent irreverent perspective. May your 2011 be filled with love, laughter, and job security!

No comments: