Tuesday, January 20, 2009

How to Survive a Heart Attack

OK, if you want to survive a real heart attack, exercise, eat a diet low in saturated fats, floss often, and take a baby aspirin every day, if approved by your doctor.

For me, this is how I weather a myocardial infarction- which is what your doctor would call a heart attack- I was checking my e-mail one night and received a message from University X saying that my application was incomplete as they had not received my letters of recommendation nor my transcripts. I learned this on the day of the deadline for consideration for scholarships at Universtiy X. Not great. This was also a shock because I'd send out the aforementioned materials a week earlier, in my naivete, trusting that institution that is the United States Postal system.

I called the admissions department of University X the next day and spoke to an angel in human form, who was very reassuring saying that they are still going through their mail. While I'm not sure how this reflects on my chances of getting in, at least it means that the postal system may not have royally screwed up and my forlorn little package may be at the bottom of a monolithic pile.

But lesson learned, when in doubt, send it certified! That way there is some accountability in this universe! Or at least in the postal system. Let this be a lesson to anyone considering applying for grad school ever in the future. Do as I say not as I do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

blarg. and frustrations. sorry to hear... i know, however, that you have much experience in tailoring cover letters, resumes and the like... keep up your work!